Wednesday, September 16, 2009

You alone Can Rescue

You alone can rescue, You alone can save
You alone can lift us from the grave
You came down to find us, led us out of death
To You alone belongs the highest praise
We lift up our eyes, lift up our eyes
You’re the Giver of Life
We lift up our eyes, lift up our eyes
You’re the Giver of Life
How true is this about our God? He's the only one who can rescue us from this dark Earth we live in. To him ALONE belongs the highest praise.
Last night at Breakaway Ben Stuart, breakawayministries.org, talked about something that really hit home. TRIALS.
The verses for last night come from the book of James, which I think we will be studying all semester and I'm so excited. James is written full of passion, and when Ben Stuart talks he talks full of passion. It's like you can hear James in Ben. Reagan brought this up today and I totally agree.
James 1:12-17
12Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him. 13When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; 14but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. 15Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death. 16Don't be deceived, my dear brothers. 17Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. 18He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created.

Wow. Let's see. Chapter one of James is about trials that are envitable. During a trial, or opression options will be presented. Some good, some bad. We hold the key to what we do. One example Ben used was roommate drama. Maybe you don't like the way your roommate comes in loud, or doesn't talk to you on campus when they see you. Or maybe they are just plain dumb. Well when this happens many options are presented you can, rolll your eyes, punch them, cuss at them, talk behind their back, or many more options. You catch the drift. Maybe you've had a hard week and one option to unwind is alcohol.
That's where God got me.
This is my option and the option is usually go towards. It's definitely not the best choice, but something I did rely heavily on. Alcohol is such a huge temptation in my life. Of course some of us chose to blame God. But it is clear in verse 13 that we shouldn't say God is tempting me because that is just not true. God will test us, but not tempt us. BIG DIFFERENCE. Temptations comes from ourselves, according to verse 14. The choice is within us whether we give in to the temptation or not. Desires are what causes sin and pain into life. For example, the South Carolina Governor didn't think of what his wife's face would be after he got caught having an affair. His evil desires caused pain into his wife and children's life.
Before we engage in the activitiy, think about where it will lead. Look up and see the big picture. Every GOOD thing is from above, that's clear in verse 17. Verse 18 points to how good God is. He brought us into being, how great is that.
This sermon last night really hit me hard. Trial come and temptation comes but if I am so lost in God I will be able to withstand these trials and chose the right option. Now, I'm not gonna all of the sudden be cured from my thoughts of needing alcohol, but I am slowly getting over it. Everytime I start thinking negatively, or not in a good way I start praying. I feel like I am in constant pursuel of Christ and it's a great feeling.

Did I mention, I'm a small group leader for Phi Lamb? I'm SO SO SO SO EXCITED! I'm excited to pour into girls who love the Lord. I'm excited for how God's going to use me.

God is doing great things in my life and I'm so excited. I love being lost in him. It's so great!

I love you guys!

Kassie

No comments:

Post a Comment