Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Love?

Love is such a powerful word. So powerful. What does it really mean though?

I looked it up at www.dictionary.com and got like 30 definitions.

The first two:
1. A profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person.
2. A feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child or friend.

Woah, woah woah. Instantly this shows how that word "LOVE" can be taken as so many things. I love you. I love ice cream. Okay so we know that by common sense they aren't the same kind of love. But the word LOVE is thrown around so much. I'm not gonna lie I use it a lot. But what is love?
I think the Lord makes it SO SO clear in the bible as to what love is:
"This how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers." 1 John 3:16

To me, this means that love is something you would die for. For instance, I would die for my family and to me that's love. I wouldn't die for ice cream, (sorry Bluebell I don't love you that much). But I'd give my life to my friend's in a heartbeat. I know where I'm going when I die :)

But there are three different types of love: eros, philia and agape.

Eros love is where the word erotic comes from. It's sexual love.
Philia is where Philadelphia comes from meaning brotherly love, or best friend love.
Agape love is the kind of love that is selfless. In the greek translation of the bible it says that...
"The entire law is summed up in one command: Love (agape) your neighbor as yourself." Galatians 5:14 Meaning selfless, unconditional love. Love that God would send his only son to die for us.

So why do we throw the word LOVE around so much? I think the word LIKE needs to be used more. Because we LIKE ice cream, we LOVE God. HUGE difference.

Love should be selfless and not eros. The bible clearly uses AGAPE love. Agape is unshakeable, because no actions, words or anything can destroy it because it is SELFLESS. Eros and Philia are great, but as soon as something bad happens it can disappear. In a marriage eros and philia will survive well ONLY if the relationship is built on Agape!
Agape love is the love that we have to pursue and act like. Agape nourshies and helps the other 2 forms of love to survive in a healthy relationship. But love purely built around eros or philia isn't true love.

I mean I love my friends to death, but in a Christlike way. I would die for them and do anything for them. I do LOVE them. But do I love Dr. Pepper? My iPhone? No, I simply enjoy them and like them a lot.

So next time you use the word LOVE, think about how you are using it.

Just my thoughts.

:)

Kassie

JUST FOR CAITLIN!!

5 THINGS TO BE HAPPY ABOUT TODAY! :)

the movie being better than the book. the book being better than the movie. feeling productive. being lazy. going out of the country

No comments:

Post a Comment